The American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce, in cooperation with the Athens Stock Exchange, is pleased to announce the 31st annual Greek Economic Summit (GES) to be held from November 30 to December 2, 2020, in Athens, Greece. The event will be held in hybrid format, with extended virtual participation and limited physical presence.
Over three successful decades, GES has emerged as one of the most prestigious events of its kind in Greece, a national institution that has featured all the country’s prime ministers for the past 30 years as well as key ministers and deputy ministers, US ambassadors, foreign dignitaries and diplomats, high-ranking officials and representatives from across the political spectrum, prominent academics, and top business executives from Greece, Europe, and the United States.
Titled Forging Ahead in Challenging Times, GES2020 will focus on Greece’s vigorous efforts to address significant transition challenges across a number of sectors and implement the necessary reforms that will move the country along the path to economic recovery and lay the foundations for a brighter, more sustainable future.
This year’s summit is taking place amidst a global pandemic with multidimensional impacts on economies and societies. As the global economy races into uncharted waters, Greece must fast-track its digital transformation, particularly in public governance, create a business-friendly environment to attract investment, strengthen the role of the private sector to act as a catalyst for investment recover, and enhance its resilience through a shift to a more export-oriented growth model. To succeed, the country must leverage its core capabilities—including tourism, energy, shipping, and its geostrategic position—adopt successful international business models and enhance regional strategic alliances while also deepening regional integration.
Over three days, and with the participation of a host of distinguished speakers, the Greek Economic Summit 2020 will highlight and explore the following topics:
- The new strategic growth plan: Laying the foundations for a bright, sustainable future for Greece
- The post-Covid new normal: From overhauling infrastructure to new business models
- The Recovery Fund: Great expectations and effective management
- Greek – American relations at their best: What does this mean for the two countries and SE Europe?
- Building regional strategic alliances: Greece’s role in the global geopolitical map
- The Greek investment landscape: Attracting international financial institutions and pension funds
- Industry 4.0: New technology at the service of industrial production
- Scaling up success: How to accelerate SMEs growth
- Shaping the future of the financial institutions.
- Rule of law and sustainable economic growth
- The role of private insurance in social security and healthcare reforms
- Trends in the global labor market: Skilling and reskilling the workforce
- The future of the supply chain: Flexibility and multilevel sourcing
- The circular economy as an underpinning mechanism of the green deal and growth of the country
- Changes in the energy sector and their footprint in Greece and SE Europe
- Transforming Greece into a land of digital services
- Towards a new and smart tourism strategy
- The silver economy as pillar of growth
Designed to generate lively discussion, promote the exchange of constructive ideas, and lead to the development of effective solutions, the Greek Economic Summit brings together a significant number of senior government and business representatives and attracts wide media coverage. This year, GES2020 will also feature representatives of major global investment firms who will present their perspectives on the investment climate in Greece, while renowned and respected journalists from the United States and Europe representing leading media and news institutions will also attend and cover the summit.